Title: City Planner
Organization: City of Parkersburg
Location: Parkersburg, WV
Posting Date: 2018-09-18
Closing Date: 2018-10-31
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
This position helps to promote the best use of a community’s land resources for residential, commercial, institutional and recreational purposes. This is accomplished when a holistic approach to planning and development is used to assesses and develop community improvement projects The City Planner is also charged with helping the community address environmental, economic and social health issues as it grows and changes. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Reviews major and minor subdivisions applications to ensure compliance with applicable state laws and local zoning regulations.
- Reviews and processes zoning map amendment petitions, annexation applications, rights-of-way dedication and abandonment applications and special use permits for telecommunication facilities and outdooring dining areas in the Central Business District.
- Perform field inspections to gather data relevant to the development review process and/or to verify that development projects comply with approved plans.
- Responsible for updating and maintaining the City’s Comprehensive Plan and land development regulations.
- Oversees the City’s Brownfield Initiative. This includes maintaining the City’s inventory of brownfield property, writing grants to the U.S. Department of Environmental Protection Agency for brownfield assistance and working state and local officials to address brownfield related issues in the community.
- Conducts extensive research on specific or general topics related to planning & development activities.
- Act as the City’s liaison with the WV Division of Forestry, Allegheny Power, Urban Foresters and other groups as they relate to tree maintenance and planting.
- Regularly submits departmental updates to the City’s website and social media platforms.
- Write and/or assist in writing formal and technical reports, working papers, correspondences, ordinances and regulations.
- Provide staff support and technical assistance to various commissions and boards, such as: Municipal Planning Commission, Parkersburg Urban Renewal Authority, Tree Commission, Bicycle Advisory Board, Architectural Review Board, etc.
- Attend evening and weekend meetings as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reports directly to the Development Director.
REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s Degree in planning, community or economic development, or closely related field with at least two years of experience. Certification from the American Institute of Certified Planners is preferred and/or should be sought after upon employment.
Strong communication (verbal & written) and interpersonal skills. Excellent computer skills. Skill in analyzing problems, identifying solutions, and implementing recommendations. Must be able to multi-task. Ability to work independently and in a team environment. Possession of a valid driver’s license. Some travel required.
PHYSICAL DEMAND LEVEL: Light
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
GRADE: S-5 [$43,554 per year]
Contact Name: Sandra Wallace
Contact Phone: 304-424-8462
Contact E-mail: email@example.com
Return to Job Postings Page